For Prospective Members: Seniors
Seniors: Class of 2020*
The Alpha of Tennessee Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa seeks to recognize scholarly attainment in the arts and sciences by inviting outstanding seniors to become members. Members of the graduating class of the College of Arts and Science with a grade point average of 3.65 or higher are eligible, subject to the following criteria:
- If all the student’s work has been done at Vanderbilt, the student must ordinarily have completed 105 semester hours of the work required for the degree by January of the current year. (e.g., the student will have 120 hours at graduation in May).
- A transfer student or a student from a school or college other than the College of Arts & Science who is a candidate for graduation and who will have been in residence at least four semesters by the time of graduation may be elected provided that a minimum of 60 semester hours in the College of Arts and Science will have been completed at graduation. The grade-point ratio of transfer credits is determined based on the institution.
- At least 90 hours of the student’s total program must be in the liberal arts, rather than applied or professional in nature. The breadth of a candidate’s program, as shown by the number and variety of courses taken outside the major, is considered. Grades earned in applied (vocational) and professional work are not counted in computing the grade point average.
- The Alpha Chapter Mathematical Reasoning and Foreign Language proficiency requirements for membership must be satisfied by May 2020. See the “Eligibility” section of the For Prospective Members page for further information.
No more than ten percent of the class, including those initiated the previous year as juniors, may be admitted.
To be considered for membership, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the Authorization/Application Form for seniors (link below).
- Complete and sign the form to allow the Membership Committee to review your academic record.
- Submit the online form as indicated at the end of the Authorization/Application Form.
The deadline for submission is 5pm on February 7, 2020.
* August 2019, December 2019, and May 2020 Graduates