Lab Mission & Crew
The Hutson lab is a training ground in which we conduct original research to understand the physical rules of life. Together, we aim …
- to pursue our research mission with focus, tenacity, integrity and healthy skepticism;
- to secure external funding and publish consistently in top biophysical journals;
- to create and disseminate analytical tools to the wider biophysics community;
- and to prepare trainees for success in their chosen future careers.
Lab Members – Summer 2019
Aaron Stevens, Graduate Student
Computational modeling and image analysis of wound-induced calcium signals
Kazi Tasneem, Graduate Student
Transport, diffusion and chemical binding kinetics in microfluidic organs-on-chip devices
Ty McCleery, Postdoctoral Fellow
Laser microsurgery; cellular mechanics in wound healing and morphogenesis
- Andrea Page-McCaw, Professor of Cell & Developmental Biology, Vanderbilt University
- G. Wayne Brodland, Professor of Civil Engineering and Biology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Antonio Jacinto, Principal Investigator, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciéncia, Lisbon, Portugal
- John Wikswo, Gordon A. Cain University Professor, A. B. Learned Professor of Living State Physics, Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, and Physics, Vanderbilt University
- Lisa McCawley, Research Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Cancer Biology, Vanderbilt University
- Dmitry Markov, Research Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
- Karen Joos, Joseph and Barbara Ellis Professor of Ophthalmology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Xiaoyan Ma, 2004-2011 →→ Statistical Research Specialist, Bureau of TennCare, Nashville, TN
- Yaowu Xiao, 2004-2006 →→ Senior Research Scientist, EMD Millipore Inc., Boston, MA
- Borislav Ivanov, 2007-2009 →→ Senior Scientists, QDM Ltd., Ithaca, NY
- Alex Auner, PhD Physics 2018 →→ Visiting Assistant Professor at Hampden-Sydney College
- Erica Shannon, PhD Biological Sciences 2018 (mentored jointly with Prof. Andrea Page-McCaw) →→ Production Manager at Journal of the International Ombudsman Association
- Monica (Lacy) Bennett (NSF Graduate Research Fellow), PhD Physics 2017 →→ Science Instructor at The Well-Trained Mind Academy
- W. Ty McCleery (NSF Graduate Research Fellow), PhD Physics 2016 →→ Postdoctoral Fellow at Vanderbilt University
- Sarah Crews (U.S. Dept. of Ed. GAANN Fellow), PhD Physics 2015 →→ Technical Staff Scientist at MIT Lincoln Laboratories
- David Mashburn, PhD Physics 2015 →→ Data Scientist at PluralSight Inc.
- Aroshan Jayasinghe, PhD Physics 2012 →→ Product Development Scientist at DeNovix Inc.
- Holley Lynch (U.S. Dept. of Ed. GAANN Fellow), PhD Physics 2012 →→ Postdoc at Univ. Pittsburgh →→ Assistant Professor of Physics at Stetson Univ.
- Jason Rohner, M.S. Physics 2009
- Tomas Yan, M.S. Biology (Fisk) 2008 →→ Science Teacher at Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Gilma Adunas, M.S. Physics 2006
- X.J. Xu, VU, 2018-19 →→ graduate studies in Physics at Yale Univ.
- Hannah Kim, Univ. Virginia, NSF REU Summer 2018
- Sam Hotchkiss, VU, 2017
- Leila Arefnezhad, VU, 2017
- Jocelyn Jackson, VU, 2017-18
- Tracy Edwards, Hampton Univ., NIH MARC/NSF REU, Summer 2016/2017
- Yunhua Zhao, VU, 2016 →→ M.S. in Computer Science, VU (2019)
- Wes Edrington, Univ. Nebraska, NSF REU, Summer 2016 →→ Senior Risk Analyst, MJ Insurance, Carmel, IN
- Ama Agyapong, Elizabeth City State Univ., NIH MARC, Summer 2015 →→ graduate studies in Materials Science at Penn State Univ.
- Grace Yook, Wake Forest Univ., NSF REU, Summer 2015 →→ joint MBA/Pharmacy studies at Univ. North Carolina
- Steven Pei, VU, 2015 →→ student at Brown Univ.
- Jason Creeden, Eastern Kentucky Univ. NSF REU, Summer 2014 →→ graduate studies in Physics at College of William & Mary, VA
- Nick Peoples, Southern Nazarene Univ. NSF REU, Summer 2014 →→ M.Sc. in Global Health, Duke Univ. →→ Global Health Corps Fellow, Pediatric HIV/AIDS at Baylor College of Medicine, TX
- Cameron Togrye, VU, 2014 →→ dental student at Univ. Tennessee
- Nikita Lakomkin, VU, 2014-15 →→ medical student at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NY
- Attiyya Houston, VU, SyBBURE, 2013 →→ graduate studies in Urban Education Policy, Brown Univ.
- Sam Barnett, Univ. Southern Indiana, NSF REU, Summer 2012 →→ M.D. from Indiana Univ. (2018) →→ Emergency Medicine Resident, Chicago, IL
- Karl Echiverri, VU, 2011 →→ M.D. from Univ. Kentucky (2016) →→ Neurology Resident, Warrenville, IL
- Eric Copenhaver, Univ. Akron, NSF REU, Summer 2011 →→ graduate studies in Physics, Univ. California-Berkeley
- Paula Angarita, Florida International Univ., NSF REU, Summer 2010 →→ M.S. in Technology Policy, MIT (2015) →→ Sr Partner Success Executive, Skyscanner Inc.
- Trevor Meek, Southern Nazarene Univ., NSF REU, Summer 2010
- John Kirkham, Rhodes College, NSF REU, Summer 2009 →→ M.S. in Physics, Emory Univ. →→ Senior System Software Engineer, NVIDIA
- Siri Kadire, VU, SyBBURE, 2009 →→ M.D. from Univ. Tennessee (2017) →→ Resident Physician, Univ. Indiana
- Brett Rosenthal, Duke Univ., NSF REU, Summer 2008 →→ M.D. from Emory Univ. (2013) →→ Spine Surgery Fellow, Harvard Univ.
- Robert Gish, VU, NSF REU/Directed Study, 2007 →→ M.D. from Univ. Alabama-Birmingham (2015) →→ Radiologist, Birmingham, AL
- Elliott Kim, VU, REU, Summer 2007 →→ M.D. from Vanderbilt Univ. Medical Center (2013) →→ Orthopedic Surgeon, Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Peter Scully, VU, 2006 →→ PhD in Medical Physics, Univ. Wisconsin (2015) →→ Science Communications Associate, National Foundation for Cancer Research
- MacRae Linton, Duke Univ., Summer 2006 →→ Software Engineer with Apple Inc.→→ Software Engineer with Truss Inc.
- Alanna Patsiokas, VU, Senior Design Project, 2004 →→ M.D. from Vanderbilt Univ. Medical Center (2010) →→ Pediatric Hospitalist at
Centennial Children’s Hospital, Nashville, TN
Connect with Vanderbilt
©2023 Vanderbilt University ·
Site Development: University Web Communications