Refereed Journal Articles
- J. Kozub, J.-H. Shen, K.M. Joos, R. Prasad and M.S. Hutson (2015) “Optic nerve sheath fenestration using a Raman-shifted alexandrite laser” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine (Accepted Nov 19, 2015).
- S.M. Crews, W.T. McCleery and M.S. Hutson (2015) “Pathway to a Phenocopy: Heat Stress Effects in Early Embryogenesis” Developmental Dynamics Published ahead of print Nov 16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/dvdy.24360.
- J. Kozub, J.-H. Shen, K.M. Joos, R. Prasad and M.S. Hutson (2015) “Efficacy and predictability of soft tissue ablation using a prototype Raman-shifted alexandrite laser” Journal of Biomedical Optics 20(10): 105004 (Oct 12, 2015; 10 pp), https://doi.org/10.1117/1.JBO.20.10.105004.
- G. Kavanaugh, R. Zhao, Y. Guo, K.N. Mohni, G. Glick, M.E. Lacy, M.S. Hutson, M. Ascano and D. Cortez (2015) “Enhancer of Rudimentary Homolog affects the replication stress response through regulation of RNA processing” Molecular and Cellular Biology 35(17): 2979-2990, https://doi.org/ 10.1128/MCB.01276-14.
- G.W. Brodland, J.H. Veldhuis, S. Kim, M. Perrone, D. Mashburn and M.S. Hutson (2014) “CellFIT: a cellular force-inference toolkit using curvilinear cell boundaries” PLoS ONE 9: e99116 (15pp), https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0099116.
- H.E. Lynch, J. Veldhuis, G.W. Brodland and M.S. Hutson (2014) “Modeling cell elongation during germ band retraction: cell autonomy versus applied anisotropic stress” New Journal of Physics 16: 055003 (18pp), https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/16/5/055003.
- Y. Yan, L. Jiang, K.J. Aufderheide, G.A. Wright, A. Terekhov, L. Costa, K. Qin, W.T. McCleery, J.J. Fellenstein, A. Ustione, J.B. Robertson, C.H. Johnson, D.W. Piston, M.S. Hutson, J.P. Wikswo, W. Hofmeister and C. Janetopoulos (2014) “A microfluidic-enabled mechanical microcompressor for the immobilization of live single- and multi-cellular specimens” Microscopy and Microanalysis 20(1): 141-151, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1431927613014037.
- H.E. Lynch, S.M. Crews, B. Rosenthal, E. Kim, R. Gish, K. Echiverri and M.S. Hutson (2013) “Cellular mechanics of germ band retraction in Drosophila” Developmental Biology 384: 205-213, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ydbio.2013.10.005.
- A.K. Jayasinghe, S.M. Crews, D.N. Mashburn and M.S. Hutson (2013) “Apical oscillations in amnioserosa cells: basolateral coupling and mechanical autonomy” Biophysical Journal 105: 255-265, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpj.2013.05.027.
- D.N. Mashburn, H.E. Lynch, X. Ma, M.S. Hutson (2012) “Enabling user-guided segmentation and tracking of surface-labeled cells in time-lapse image sets of living tissues” Cytometry A 81A(5): 409–418. pdf
- M.A. Mackanos, D.M. Simanovskii, K.E. Schriver, M.S. Hutson, C.H. Contag, J.A. Kozub, E.D. Jansen (2012) “Pulse Duration Dependent Mid-Infrared Laser Ablation for Biological Applications” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics in press (published ahead of print, 20 Feb 2012). pdf
- A. Jayasinghe, J. Rohner, M.S. Hutson (2011) “Holographic UV laser microsurgery” Biomedical Optics Express 2(9): 2590-2599 (cover article). pdf; animated .gif cover image.
- D. Azevedo, M. Antunes, S. Prag, X. Ma, U. Hacker, G.W. Brodland, M.S. Hutson, J. Solon, A. Jacinto (2011) “DRhoGEF2 Regulates Cellular Tension and Cell Pulsations in the Amnioserosa during Drosophila Dorsal Closure” PLoS One 6(9): e23964 (11pp). pdf
- J. Kozub, B. Ivanov, A. Jayasinghe, R. Prasad, J. Shen, M. Klosner, D. Heller, M. Mendenhall, D.W. Piston, K. Joos, M.S. Hutson (2011) “Raman-shifted alexandrite laser for soft tissue ablation in the 6- to 7-μm wavelength range” Biomedical Optics Express 2(5): 1275-1281. pdf
- G.W. Brodland, V. Conte, P.G. Cranston, J. Veldhuis, S. Narasimhan, M.S. Hutson, A. Jacinto, F. Ulrich, B. Baum, M. Miodownik (2010) “Video force microscopy reveals the mechanics of ventral furrow invagination in Drosophila” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 107(51): 22111-22116 (doi: 10.1073/pnas.1006591107). pdf
- M.S. Hutson, J. Veldhuis, X. Ma, H.E. Lynch, P.G. Cranston, G.W. Brodland (2009) “Combining laser microsurgery and finite element modeling to assess cell-level epithelial mechanics” Biophysical Journal 97: 3075-3085 (+4 pp online supplement). pdf
- M.S. Hutson, B. Ivanov, A. Jayasinghe, G. Adunas, Y. Xiao, M. Guo, J. Kozub (2009) “Interplay of wavelength, fluence and spot-size in free-electron laser ablation of cornea” Optics Express 17: 9840-9850. pdf
- X. Ma, H.E. Lynch, P.C. Scully, M.S. Hutson (2009) “Probing embryonic tissue mechanics with laser hole drilling” Physical Biology 6: 036004 (12pp + 2pp online supplement). pdf
- M.S. Hutson, G.W. Brodland, J. Yang, and D. Viens (2008) “Cell Sorting in Three Dimensions: Topology, Fluctuations, and Fluidlike Instabilities” Physical Review Letters 101: 148105 (4pp + 3pp online supplement). pdf; Feature story in Vanderbilt Explorations.
- M.S. Hutson and X. Ma (2008) “Mechanical aspects of developmental biology: perspectives On Growth and Form in the (post)-genomic age” Physical Biology 5(1): 015001 (8pp). pdf
- Y. Xiao, M. Guo, P. Zhang, G. Shanmugam, P. L. Polavarapu and M. S. Hutson (2008) “Wavelength-Dependent Conformational Changes in Collagen after Mid-Infrared Laser Ablation of Cornea” Biophysical Journal 94(4): 1359-1366. pdf
- M. S. Hutson and X. Ma (2007) “Plasma and Cavitation Dynamics during Pulsed Laser Microsurgery in vivo”, Physical Review Letters 99(15): 158104 (4pp). pdf; featured news item in Laser Focus World (Nov 2007), Biophotonics (Dec 2007) and Vanderbilt Explorations.
- G.S. Edwards, R.D. Pearlstein, M.L. Copeland, M.S. Hutson, K. Latone, A. Spiro and G. Pasmanik (2007) “6450 nm wavelength tissue ablation using a nanosecond laser based on difference frequency mixing and stimulated Raman scattering” Optics Letters 32(11): 1426-1428. pdf
- X.G. Peralta, Y. Toyama, Y. Tokutake, M.S. Hutson, S. Venakides, D.P. Kiehart, and G.S. Edwards (2007) “Upregulation of Forces and Morphogenic Asymmetries in Dorsal Closure during Drosophila Development”, Biophysical Journal 92: 2583-2596 (+ 3pp online supplement). pdf
- Y. Xiao, M. Guo, K. Parker and M.S. Hutson (2006) “Wavelength-Dependent Collagen Fragmentation during Mid-IR Laser Ablation”, Biophysical Journal 91: 1424-1432. pdf
- Y. Xiao, M.S. Hutson, M. Belenky, J. Herzfeld, M.S. Braiman (2004) “Role of Arginine-82 in Fast Proton Release during the Bacteriorhodopsin Photocycle: A Time-Resolved FT-IR Study of Purple Membranes Containing 15N-Labeled Arginine”, Biochemistry 43: 12809-12818. pdf
- M.S. Hutson, Y. Tokutake, M.-S. Chang, J.W. Bloor, S. Venakides, D.P. Kiehart, G.S. Edwards (2003) “Forces for Morphogenesis Investigated with Laser Microsurgery and Quantitative Modeling” Science 300: 145-149 (+ 19pp online supplement). pdf
- G.S. Edwards and M.S. Hutson (2003) “Advantage of the Mark-III FEL for biophysical research and biomedical applications” Journal of Synchrotron Radiation 10: 354-357. pdf
- G.S. Edwards, R.H. Austin, F.E. Carroll, M.L. Copeland, M.E. Couprie, W.E. Gabella, R.F. Haglund, B.A. Hooper, M.S. Hutson, E.D. Jansen, K.M. Joos, D.P. Kiehart, I. Lindau, J. Miao, H.S. Pratisto, J.H. Shen, Y. Tokutake, A.F.G. van der Meer, A. Xie (2003) “Free-electron-laser-based biophysical and biomedical instrumentation”, Review of Scientific Instruments 74: 3207-3245. pdf
- M.S. Hutson, S.A. Hauger and G. Edwards (2002) “Thermal diffusion and chemical kinetics in laminar biomaterial due to heating by a free-electron laser” Physical Review E 65: 061906 (6pp). pdf
- M.S. Hutson, R.A. Palmer, M.-S. Chang, A. Gillikin, V. Litvinenko and G. Edwards (2002) “Commissioning of a UV/time-resolved-FTIR beamline at the Duke FEL laboratory.”Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A 483: 560-564. pdf
- G.D. Smith, M.S. Hutson, Y. Lu, M.T. Tierney, M.W. Grinstaff and R.A. Palmer (2001) “Step-Scan FT-IR Time-Resolved Spectroscopy in the Solid State” Applied Spectroscopy 55: 637-642. pdf
- M.S. Hutson, S.V. Shilov, R. Krebs and M.S. Braiman (2001) “Halide Dependence of the Halorhodopsin Photocycle as Measured by Time-Resolved Infrared Spectra” Biophysical Journal 80: 1452-1465. pdf
- M.S. Hutson, U. Alexiev, S.V. Shilov, K.J. Wise and M.S. Braiman (2000) “Evidence for a Perturbation of Arginine-82 in the Bacteriorhodopsin Photocycle from Time-Resolved Infrared Spectra” Biochemistry 39: 13189-13200. pdf
- M.S. Hutson and M.S. Braiman (1999) “Application of doubled-angle phase correction method to time-resolved step-scan FT-IR spectra” Vibrational Spectroscopy 19: 381-385. pdf
- M.S. Hutson and M.S. Braiman (1998) “Direct Phase Correction of Differential FT-IR Spectra” Applied Spectroscopy 52: 974-984. pdf
- M.S. Hutson, G. Holzwarth, T. Duke and J. Viovy (1995) “Two-Dimensional Motion of DNA Bands During 120° Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis. I. Effect of Molecular Weight.” Biopolymers 35: 297-306. pdf
- L.M. Neitzey, M.S. Hutson and G. Holzwarth (1993) “Two-dimensional motion of DNA bands during 120° pulsed-field gel electrophoresis.” Electrophoresis 14: 296-303. pdf
- J.H. Veldhuis, D. Mashburn, M.S. Hutson, G.W. Brodland “Practical Aspects of the Cellular Force Inference Toolkit (CellFIT)”, in Methods in Cell Biology Volume 125: Biophysical Methods in Cell Biology, edited by E. Paluch, Chapter 18, pp. 331-351 (Elsevier, 2015), https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.mcb.2014.10.010.
- D.P. Kiehart, Y. Tokutake, M.-S. Chang, M.S. Hutson, J. Wiemann, X.G. Peralta, Y. Toyama, A.R. Wells, A. Rodriguez, and G.S. Edwards “Ultraviolet Laser Microbeam for Dissection of Drosophila Embryos”, in Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook, 3rd Edition, edited by J.E. Celis, Chapter 9, pp. 87-103, (Elsevier, 2006).
- M.S. Hutson and G.S. Edwards (2004) “Advances in the Physical Understanding of Laser Surgery at 6.45 Microns”, Proceedings of the 26th International Free Electron Laser Conference and 11th FEL Users Workshop: FRAIS01. Published in JACoW (6pp). pdf
- M.S. Hutson, G.W. Brodland, X. Ma, H.E. Lynch, A.K. Jayasinghe, J. Veldhuis, “Measuring and Modeling Morphogenetic Stress in Developing Embryos” in Mechanics of Biological Systems and Materials (Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics) Vol. 4, pp. 107-115 (Lombard, IL, 2013), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-00777-9_15.
- M.S. Hutson, Y. Xiao and M. Guo, “Protein structural failure in mid-IR laser ablation of cornea” High Power Laser Ablation VI, SPIE 6261: 62612N – 10 pages (Taos, NM, May 2006), https://doi.org/10.1117/12.669004.
- G.S. Edwards, M.S. Hutson and S. Hauger, “Heat diffusion and chemical kinetics in Mark-III FEL tissue ablation” Commercial & Biomedical Applications of Ultrafast and Free Electron Lasers, SPIE 4633: 184-193 (San Jose, CA, 2002), https://doi.org/10.1117/12.461378.
- G. Edwards, M.S. Hutson, S. Hauger, J. Kozub, J. Shen, C. Shieh, K. Topadze and K. Joos, “Comparison of OPA and Mark-III FEL for tissue ablation at 6.45 microns” Commercial & Biomedical Applications of Ultrafast and Free Electron Lasers, SPIE 4633: 194-201 (San Jose, CA, 2002), https://doi.org/10.1117/12.461379.
- M.S. Hutson, R.A. Palmer, A. Gillikin, M.-S. Chang, V.N. Litvinenko and G.S. Edwards, “UV/time-resolved FTIR beamline at the Duke FEL Laboratory” Commercial & Biomedical Applications of Ultrafast and Free Electron Lasers, SPIE 4633: 225-232 (San Jose, CA, 2002), https://doi.org/10.1117/12.461383.
- M. Emamian, G. Swift and M.S. Hutson “Optical beam line design for the Duke Free Electron Laser Laboratory” Proceedings of the 2001 Particle Accelerator Conference 4: 2524-2526 (Chicago, 2001), https://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelconf/p01/PAPERS/WPPH036.PDF.
- G. Edwards, C. Fowler, S. Hutson, V. Litvinenko, R.A. Palmer and B. Roberts “Light source capabilities and applications research at the Duke FEL Laboratory” Biomedical Applications of Free Electron Lasers, SPIE 3925: 106-115 (San Jose, CA, 2000), https://doi.org/10.1117/12.384258
- 49. M.S. Hutson (2008) “Physical Aspects of Developmental Biology: 21st Century Perspectives On Growth and Form” Physical Biology 5(1): preface (1p), https://doi.org/10.1088/1478-3975/5/1/E01.
- K. Joos, J.-H. Shen, M.S. Hutson and J. Kozub, “Apparatus and Method for Real-Time Imaging and Monitoring of an Electrosurgical Procedure,” U.S. Patent No. 8,655,431 (Feb 2014) based on U.S. Provisional Patent Application 13/149,502 (May 2011), https://www.google.com/patents/US8655431.
- M.S. Hutson and G.S. Edwards, “Method and Apparatus for Infrared Tissue Ablation”, U.S. Patent No. 8,074,661 (Dec 2011) based on U.S. Provisional Patent Application #60/384,877 (May 2002), https://www.google.com/patents/US8074661.
Published Conference Proceedings (Refereed)
Published Conference Proceedings (Non-refereed)