Global Health Modules
Our team of VIGH-affiliated faculty has created a series of video presentations on a variety of global health topics. You can access these videos on our VIGH Global Health Training Videos YouTube channel or using the links below. (Note: some videos may require “login” to Spark – please use your VUnetID to log in)
Implementation Science and Quality Improvement
A three-part series on implementation science and quality improvement in resource-limited settings. Presented by Jimmy Carlucci, MD.
These presentations provide a foundational overview of the epidemiology, prevention, and management behind each given infectious disease.
- Chikungunya – Presented by Paul Jacob, MD., MPH.
- Dengue Fever – Presented by Paul Jacob, MD., MPH.
- Helminths of Global Importance – Presented by David Dobrzynski, MD.
- Hemorrhagic Fever – Presented by Paul Jacob, MD., MPH.
- Malaria – Presented by David Dobrzynski, MD.
- Yellow Fever – Presented by Paul Jacob, MD., MPH.
- Zika Virus – Presented by Paul Jacob, MD., MPH.
- HIV/AIDS – Presented by Bill Wester, MD., MPH.
- Tuberculosis – Presented by Mohammed Shwetar.
- Lymphatic Filariasis – Presented by Elizabeth Rose, MPH.
- Subcutaneous Filariasis – Presented by Elizabeth Rose, MPH.
- Serous Cavity Filariasis – Presented by Bill Wester, MD., MPH.
- Endemic Fungal Infections – Presented by Bill Wester, MD., MPH.
- Cholera – Presented by Juanita Prieto Garcia, MD., MPH.
- Leprosy – Presented by Juanita Prieto Garcia, MD., MPH.
- Leishmaniasis – Presented by Juanita Prieto Garcia, MD., MPH.
- Schistosomiasis – Presented by Bill Wester, MD., MPH.
Maternal-Child Health and Midwifery on the Global Stage
These presentations discuss an overview of global maternal health, research about engaging pregnant and postpartum women in HIV care (with a specific focus on South Africa), pregnancy complications, and fetal heart rate.
- Overview – Presented by Hope Wiggs.
- Pregnant & Postpartum Women: Sustaining Engagement in HIV Care and Treatment – Presented by Tamsin Phillips.
- Engaging Pregnant Women in HIV Care After Delivery – Presented by Kate Clouse, Ph.D.
- First Trimester Bleeding and Rh Disease – Presented by Jenny Marvin.
- Fetal Heart Rate Physiology and Monitoring – Presented by Sarah Heerboth.
A three-part series on non-communicable diseases in a global health context. Presented by Dan Guiles, MD.
Nutritional Issues in Resource-Limited Settings
An eight-part series on nutritional issues in resource-limited settings. Presented by Douglas Heimburger, MD.
- Introduction (Part One)
- Undernutrition (Part Two)
- Overnutrition (Part Three)
- Vitamin A Deficiency (Part Four)
- Iron Deficiency (Part Five)
- Iodine Deficiency (Part Six)
- Zinc Deficiency (Part Seven)
- HIV and Nutrition (Part Eight)
Medicine in Resource-Limited Settings
These presentations explore transfusion medicine, burn management, surgery, mechanical ventilation, perioperative emergencies, and trauma system development in low-resource settings.
- Pathology and Transfusion Medicine – Presented by Quentin Eichbaum, MD., PhD., MPH.
- Burn Management – Presented by Kaitie Geck.
- Global Surgery – Presented by Shayan Rakhit.
- Mechanical Ventilation in Critically III Pediatric Patients – Presented by Michael Ahler.
- Perioperative Emergencies in Opthalmology – Presented by Sean Berkowitz, James Law, and Varun Menon.
- Trauma System Development – Presented by Nick Carter, MD.
Water and Sanitation
A two-part series on water, sanitation, and hygiene in a global health context. Presented by Elizabeth Rose, MPH.
A three-part series on background information, signs, symptoms, and prevention, and frequently asked questions for COVID-19. Developed by Eva Niklinska and Jake Ramsey.
Global Health Systems, Management, and Funding
A three-part series on global health systems, governance, and actors, funding, and project management tools. Presented by Marie Martin, MD.
Additionally, here are a few of our favorite global health educational resources:
- The Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) offers a wide variety of high-quality educational modules that have a range of introductory to advanced courses.
- This Week in Global Health is a weekly live global health show that provides a brief overview of current global health topics.
- Unite for Sight’s online certificate programs contains a variety of global health modules that can be completed as part of a certificate or just for fun.