Daily Archives: January 21, 2020

The Universe is Incomprehensibly Large

Many people have talked about the feeling of walking outside, looking up at the night sky, and feeling small. You look out into the cosmos, see seemingly countless stars, and think that everything you do on earth is just immeasurably small. Despite many people feeling that way, few truly understand the real scope of theContinue reading “The Universe is Incomprehensibly Large” Continue reading

Posted in Galaxies, Stars, Sun, Universe | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Universe is Incomprehensibly Large

Observing the Sky at Night

One of my favorite pastimes is observing the sky at night and seeing which constellations I can point out. While I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, I like to think that I have a basic knowledge of several “main” constellations — Orion’s Belt, the North Star, the Big / Little Dipper,Continue reading “Observing the Sky at Night” Continue reading

Posted in Class, SolarSystem, Stars | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Observing the Sky at Night

The Speed of Light and Gravity

We all know that light travels fast – 299,792,458 meters per second, to be precise. Still, if the sun were to suddenly disappear into a mysterious void, you and I on Earth would not notice for about 8 minutes and 20 seconds. Or would we? Would we not immediately feel the sudden jolt of ourContinue reading “The Speed of Light and Gravity” Continue reading

Posted in Light, Science | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Speed of Light and Gravity