Daily Archives: September 3, 2024

Solstices/Equinoxes

Stone Henge Throughout a year on Earth, the sun changes positions in the sky due to the 23.4 degree angle of our axis. The points at which the sun reaches maximum and minimum heights in the sky are called the Summer and Winter solstices while the points half way between are called the Fall and […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , | Comments Off on Solstices/Equinoxes

The vast size and scale of the Universe

Cosmic Background Radiation Astronomy, Class, Uncategorized Today in this blog post I will describe the size and scale of the universe from my understanding. To start off, light from the sun takes approximately 8 minutes to reach Earth, yet light from the farthest parts of the observable universe would take 13.8 billion years. Keep in […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on The vast size and scale of the Universe

Solstices and Equinoxes

Diagram of the Equinoxes and Solstices from Article from The Conversation about what a Solstice is What are the Solstices and Equinoxes? As stated in The Cosmic Perspective by Jeffrey O. Bennett, they are terms used to define one of four specific moment in the year that mark the changing seasons—as depicted above in the […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Solstices and Equinoxes

The Speed of Light In Respect to the Scale of the Universe

Distances in space is so great that it needs to be measured in how long it takes for light to travel to that location. Light travels around 299,792,458 m/s or about 671,000,000 mph. Compared to the speed of sound on Earth, which is about 373m/s or about 767 mph, the speed of light is more […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Speed of Light In Respect to the Scale of the Universe

Blog 1: Cosmic Calendar and Biology

When we learned about the cosmic calendar in this class, I was immediately reminded of something I had learned two years ago in BSCI 1511 here at Vanderbilt, which was the biological timescale clock. I remember seeing this diagram and being really surprised by how recent humans, or even multicellular organisms, are in the history […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Blog 1: Cosmic Calendar and Biology

First Post!

My buddy Kian and I under the northern lights back home in Minnesota. What are the northern lights? Published by Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , | Comments Off on First Post!

The vast size and scale of the Universe

Cosmic Background Radiation Today in this blog post I will describe the size and scale of the universe from my understanding. To start off, light from the sun takes approximately 8 minutes to reach Earth, yet light from the farthest parts of the observable universe would take 13.8 billion years. Keep in mind, counting one […] Continue reading

The Cosmic Calendar

For me, one of the biggest challenges in studying astronomy is truly understanding the scale of space and time. When humans have walked the earth for hundreds of thousands of years, it is hard to recognize that our collective existence is a mere flash in the grand scheme of the universe’s 14-billion year life. Every […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Universe | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on The Cosmic Calendar