Daily Archives: May 2, 2021

Religious Pushback to Science: The Scopes Trial

When you first studied biology, you likely saw a picture like this: Though discussing evolution seems commonplace today, it wasn’t always accepted.  Notably, the debate over teaching it in schools bubbled up in our backyard just under one hundred years ago: the 1925 Dayton, Tennessee, Scopes Trial.  In this post, I’ll tell you about theContinue reading “Religious Pushback to Science: The Scopes Trial” Continue reading

Posted in Class, Historical, Science | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Religious Pushback to Science: The Scopes Trial

A New Discovery in the World of Extremophiles

Geologists have recently discovered an entire new species of extremophiles among us on planet earth, and the location may shock you. More than 500 km away from nutrients and sunlight, these extremophiles have made a home beneath the Antarctic ice shelf (SOURCE). While this discovery was not meant to actually happen, scientists are pleasantly surprisedContinue reading “A New Discovery in the World of Extremophiles” Continue reading

Posted in Class, Historical | Tagged , , | Comments Off on A New Discovery in the World of Extremophiles

Gotta be Life out there

Today we will be talking about extremophiles. After learning about all of the potential life that can survive in the harshest of environments, it made me think that there must be life out there. What may seem like a super hot, extremely pressurized environment to us on Venus, may seem like the ideal conditions forContinue reading “Gotta be Life out there” Continue reading

Posted in Aliens, Class, Exoplanets | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Gotta be Life out there

Hey, Where is Everybody?

When we studied the Drake Equation in class, it was interesting to note that using the maximum possible values for each variable in the equation, there could be as many as 21,000,000 detectable civilizations out there right now waiting to be discovered? If there are so, so many civilizations out there sending communication into space … Continue reading Hey, Where is Everybody? Continue reading

Posted in Aliens | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Hey, Where is Everybody?

Life In The Extremes

If there’s anything I’ve learned in my studies of biology over my education, it’s that life is precarious, delicate, and precious. However, now that I’ve learned more about astrobiology through this course, I’ve also come to know that life is hardy and determined. As Ian Malcom so astutely notes in Jurassic Park, “Life finds a … Continue reading Life In The Extremes Continue reading

Posted in Aliens, Class | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Life In The Extremes

Keeping Up With The Kardashev Scale

Feel free to take a few seconds out of your day to fully appreciate the genius title I came up with for this post. I’ll even give you some scrolling to do while you appreciate it! The Kardashev scale was designed in 1964 by Nikolai Kardashev to measure a civilization’s level of technological capability based… Continue reading

Posted in Aliens, Class, Stars | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Keeping Up With The Kardashev Scale