Monthly Archives: April 2023

Psychrophiles!

Extremophiles are organisms that can live in extreme environments. There are many different environments in which extremophiles live in, but I am going to talk about one of them: pyschrophiles! Psychrophiles are organisms that have adapted to perpetually freezing environments. These environments include deep seas and polar regions. These bacteria survive in these temperatures by […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged | Comments Off on Psychrophiles!

Black Hole

When I was a kid, I struggled to understand the meaning of a “black hole”. I was baffled how an object can suck in everything around it and never be full. In elementary school, my science teacher told us that “your chair were to contract indefinitely, it will become a black hole that will be […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Universe | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Black Hole

Stars of Revelation

Throughout the Bible, celestial bodies are mentioned. Jesus is “The Morning Star.” Abraham would have as many offspring as stars in the sky. Another example many people are familiar is the Book of Revelation in the Bible. It was also mentioned in my discussion of the tilma of Our Lady of Guadalupe. In Chapter 12, […] Continue reading

Posted in General, Historical | Tagged , | Comments Off on Stars of Revelation

Blog #7 Extremophiles

Photo of an extremophile water bear captured using an electron microscope. Extremophiles are creatures which are capable of living in extreme environments beyond what one might imagine are the limits of life. Extremophiles have attracted attention from the scientific community because of their potential to exist in the most extreme environments in outer space. One […] Continue reading

Posted in General, Universe | Tagged , | Comments Off on Blog #7 Extremophiles

Thermophiles on Venus

Thermophiles are a type of extremophiles that can survive above 45 degrees Celsius. These organisms are usually bacteria, and here on Earth they are found in hot springs. I wanted to talk about the possibility of life existing on Venus, not on the surface (it is far too hot there – 475 degrees Celsius). But, […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Thermophiles on Venus

Drake Equation

How many civilizations are there in our galaxy? As a kid, I was awestruck by the knowledge of just how small we are as compared to the universe. The concept of “me” is nothing more than a tiny stardust living in 1 of the 100 billion star systems in our galaxy. However, if there are […] Continue reading

Posted in Aliens, Class | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Drake Equation

Seager Equation

So the Seager Equation was made to mimic Drake’s Equation. It doesn’t find communicable aliens, but rather just that life which is detectable from Earth. It also doesn’t specify intelligent life, so it searches for any discernible life at all, from microbes to megafauna. The equation goes like this: N* : Number of observable stars […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, General, Stars | Tagged , | Comments Off on Seager Equation

The Apollo 11 Quarantine

When Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins returned from space after the Apollo 11 moon landing, they were immediately placed into a quarantine. This was the first manned mission to the moon, and the scientists weren’t sure if there would be any dangerous particles on the moon that the astronauts might bring back to […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on The Apollo 11 Quarantine

Fermi Paradox

When ordinary people ask, where are the aliens? We usua […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Fermi Paradox

Blog #8 – Black Holes and How to Find Them

Black Holes are quite a popular topic in astronomy, but I still would like to talk about them for my last post, since they are truly revolutionary. Black Holes, in short, are gravity’s ultimate victory over stars. After a star supernova explosion, the core of a star remains. But if this core weighs more than […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Light, Physics | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Blog #8 – Black Holes and How to Find Them