Daily Archives: April 7, 2023

Ocean Worlds of Supercritical Fluid

In class, we learned about various categories of exoplanets, including Super-Earths, terrestrials, ice giants, gas giants, and hot Jupiters. One other category that was mentioned was “water worlds,” an ill-defined and not entirely proven category of planets. This category would describe planets that are on the border between terrestrials and ice giants, or terrestrial worlds […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Exoplanets, Physics | Tagged , | Comments Off on Ocean Worlds of Supercritical Fluid

“Mars Will Come to Fear My Botany Powers”

While this line was a comical hit in the box-office hit “The Martian,” it also emphasizes a particular problem that we are experiencing as we explore new worlds. It is very heavy, cumbersome, and expensive to send all the food we need on space missions, and for a prolonged colonization mission, it just isn’t feasible. […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, General | Tagged , | Comments Off on “Mars Will Come to Fear My Botany Powers”

Halley’s Comet

I used measurements from Halley’s Comet for the impact homework, so I wanted to learn more about it. It certainly has name recognition, but I wanted to learn more about it. I found some great information from NASA that I figured I would share. Halley’s Comet is named after an astronomer by the name of […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Historical, Observables | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Halley’s Comet

Astronaut Bone Density

(X-Rays of astronauts in space for extended periods of time: https://images.app.goo.gl/yfa81MRNQ1S5k5UL7) When I was in 6th grade, I participated in a summer engineering competition called Zero Robotics through MIT. The objective was to create a code that would allow for droids aboard the International Space Station (ISS) to take pictures of research targets the most […] Continue reading

Posted in Physics, Universe | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Astronaut Bone Density

The Fascinating World of Pluto

Pluto, known as the ninth planet of the solar system, was reclassified as a dwarf planet in 2006. Pluto is one of the most interesting objects to study in our solar system. In this blog test, I will discuss the biggest moon Charon and the discoveries of the New Horizons spacecraft. Pluto-Image by NASA One […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Fascinating World of Pluto

The Kuiper Belt: Exploring New Horizons

Hello (again), and welcome (back) to my Astronomy Blog! Today’s post is about the Kuiper Belt and its objects.  What is the Kuiper Belt?  The Kuiper (Kai-per) Belt is a donut-shaped region beyond the orbit of Neptune. Within the Kuiper Belt, it is estimated that millions of icy objects (or even trillions of these objects, […] Continue reading

Posted in Class, Dwarf Planets, Historical | Tagged , , , , , , , | Comments Off on The Kuiper Belt: Exploring New Horizons

aurorae

The shimmering curtains of color that make up the Northern Lights are incredibly fascinating. For many (myself included), it is a life goal to get to witness this phenomenon in person. The name Aurora Borealis has its roots in classical mythology. Famous astronomer Galileo Galilei combined the Roman goddess of the dawn, Aurora, with the […] Continue reading

Posted in Class | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on aurorae